Who I am. . .

My photo
Santa Rosa/Chacala, California/Nayarit/Mexico, United States
I live and teach the Toltec Path of Personal Transformation through the articles, audios, and online apprentice program on my website at www.joydancer.com, phone consultations, workshops, Journeys of the Spirit to Teotihuacán in Mexico, and teleclasses. I am the author of The Everything Toltec Wisdom Book, and co-author of two books with Deepak Chopra, Dr. Andrew Weil, Dean Ornish, Bernie Siegel, Prince Charles, and others. I own a home in the sweet little beach village of Chacala, Nayarit, Mexico, and spend the winters there. I invite students to do intensive study with me there, and host a Valentine's Week workshop on Love, Romance, and Relationship each year.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Love is our Nature, not a Commodity

Love is a grand and wonderful thing. It has been exalted, suffered, and written and sung about since the beginning of time.

The meaning of Love and the expression of romantic relationship has evolved and grown with changing needs, religions, and economic conditions. It is a great challenge for individuals and cultures to change traditions and morals to keep pace with the evolution of the human dream. I can think of no area of our western society more in need of change than this, and at the same time more resistant to that change. There is probably no emotion more misunderstood, distorted, and confused than "Love."

From the experiences of childhood most of us agreed that others were the source of love, and that you had to bargain for that love. Love became a commodity that lived outside of us, we needed it to survive, and we had to be good and get it right in order to assure our share of the precious commodity.

I believe we came into this world through Love, as Love, being Love. We were the manifestation of Life itself. You came here knowing no fear, judgment, no conditions, an had no expectations. You simply WERE. In order to gain the acceptance of parents, teachers, playmates, and religious leaders, we learned to deny our truth and accept theirs. The first truth we had to deny was the truth that we were and ARE Love.

As we moved into adult "love" relationships, if we carry with us the agreement that love is a commodity outside of us that we have to bargain for, we will always live in fear of failing and losing the love we have captured. This is not fun (you may have noticed).

It is my hope, inspiration, and intent,
to always know my nature as love and life itself, 
and share that love in all my relationships.

I do not bargain for love,
and I do not require others to bargain for my love.


What about you?

    Allan

I adapted the above thoughts from my Five Agreements to Make Love Come True -- there is a lot more there to read. Changing these agreements will be a major focus of our week together in Chacala during my Valentine's Week Relationship Retreat. Please join me, and change your life!

If you like what you read here, make sure to subscribe to my newsletter.

No comments: